30 April 2007

Wedding shawl help -- again!




Ok, not that I've even picked up a pair of needles in like months. Seriously, it's getting really bad! But I really need to begin to knit my wedding shawl. I'm so intrigued by Print o' the Wave, but I think it's way too complicated for me. It's so gorgeous, but when I see the words "grafting" and "perpendicular border"--I just know that it'll make me crazy. In addition to actually being able to wear this shawl, I need it to not break my brain too.

So, of course, the problem is that a search of all knitted shawls really brings up a lot of overly fussy, lacy very Stevie Nicks-looking items (though, I could to worse than looking like Ms. Nicks, but still...). I'm thinking I like the Daphne stole from French Girl. It looks lovely and really simple, which is good. Though, I wouldn't be able to use my originally intended yarn: Kid Silk Haze. But I'm wondering if I could use Kid Classic. On this page though I can view the color swatches and it seem like they don't make it in a sort of fuschia-y/magenta-y color. I'm really trying to get to shown here.
Let's say I go with French Girl. . . and NEED this color in some yarn that will work with the pattern. Any suggestions for yarn? Anyone wanna knit on Wednesday?

4 comments:

NJStacie said...

According to that pattern, they are suggesting Kidsilk Haze, no? Is it a matter of quantity? Kid Classic knits into a lovely shawl, but I know they haven't done a color like that. Their 4-Ply Soft is wonderful to knit with and appears to have a similar color; they don't appear to have anything in that color-range in the "Classic" collection.

Also, here is a thing with the lacy shawl knitting - you get into the rhythm of the pattern fairly quickly; also, after a repeat or two, it becomes easier to "read" the pattern, so you know what needs to be done. I promise this is true.

Fear not, Simone, and knit on!

Max said...

What about French Girl's Diamanta?

And have you seen that Hanami shawl people are making? Beautiful! And *not* boring to knit.

Alayne said...

I think you could definitely do it in Kid Silk Haze. You might want to add repeats to the ends to get the right width, and it is crochet, right?

I echo Stacie - Fear not!

Alayne said...

Ah. On Second thought I think I might have just been reading the "French Girl Knit and Crochet" along the bottom.

Carry on.